[PD] [GEM] pix_video error on Athlon64

carmen ix at replic.net
Sat Nov 5 19:48:54 CET 2005

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 12:37:10PM -0600, Drew Browning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed PD/GEM on an AMD Athlon 64 machine (WinXP) and I'm
> getting the following error when trying to use pix_video:
>     error: pix_video: could not initialise COM.

go to start menu, select run, and enter: services.msc

youll now see a list of hundreds of services. you can disable almost all of them except audio and DNS client, and regain significant amounts of RAM, but for now, make sure COM/COM+/DCOM/WMI/WMI+ (about a half dozen services total) are set to 'Automatic' and are running. you can right click on them and start them if not.. then try PD again, if its still giving you the error, go back to start->run and run dxdiag, and make sure everything from directShow is enabled, including hardware acceleration. if it isnt, you can proably update directX from microsoft's website somewhere..

> I'm using
>     Pd version 0.39 TEST 4
>     GEM: ver: 0.90
> The error occurs with earlier versions of PD and GEM too. I've tried both
> USB web cam and DV cam but both give the same error.
> It works fine on a Pentium 4. Is this an AMD problem?

no, it has to do with windows suckage