[PD] Building a counter problem

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:46:42 CET 2005

 Hi, Brad.
 The problem is depth-first message passing. And, in PD, if one outlet
connects to two things, the messages are sent in the order the connections
were made... which you can't tell by looking.
If you insert a [print] object after your [+ 1] object, you will see that it
always outputs 0 before outputting another number. This is because it first
sends its output to the [route], which follows its chain of messages through
all the way to the [-1( message, BEFORE sending the same output to the
[float] object. So after 4, it outputs 0 and 5, then 0 and 6, etc. It sends
its result twice, and the second one replaces the -1 message to the float.
Solving it would be as simple as deleting the connection to the [route]
object and reconnecting it, so that that message is sent last.
 Also, I don't know if it matters, but the loadbang means that a 0 is sent
on opening. You could just make the float object -1 instead of 0, and delete
the loadbang, unless you want an initial 0 output on opening.
 -Chuckk