Pd doesn't quit, was: Re: [PD] flext glibc double free or corruption

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 16:09:58 CET 2005

On Nov 7, 2005, at 7:05 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:
>
>> does this double-free error message only happen on quitting PD? This
>> one i could reproduce and should be fixed now (i just synced the
>> cvs).
>> The error Johannes reported seems to be different since it happens on
>> destroying flext-based objects... i have no clue about that one.
>
> Yes, it's only on quitting Pd, so it's not really an issue, just ugly.
> I'll check out your changes later. However I may add, that my Debian
> version is not "unstable", but the latest "stable" version (Sarge)
> with only a couple of packages from "testing".

...hrmm, I'd hardly say "it's not really an issue"!  I've also been
seeing this on the osx side (mentioned in pre-halloween posts as
"zombie pd"), and it's especially bad with the app_pkg builds,
because one often doesn't realize that the app hasn't fully quit when
asked, which brings up problems the next time you try to launch...

...also, this makes pd unusable in an "installation" setting, which
is what I have to deliver this week...I really don't want to show up
every morning and make sure there's only one pd running...tho come to
think of it, isn't there a quake-style "kill process" app?  Would be
fun, if annoying, to wake up and blast zombie pd's over the net ;-p

...so I'd put this in the "must be fixed soon" category, but until
then, I gotta downgrade...

jamie