[PD] basic DSP stuff

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 01:45:18 CET 2005

That's just it, it's convenient. Suddenly you have the rule for cosine of a
sum. But you get it by arbitrarily inserting a convention that, when you
multiply the x values for two complex numbers, they turn negative. I mean,
maybe it's not arbitrary, but I don't understand how it isn't. If a complex
number is just a way to express two numbers without relating them to each
other, then the decision that they should relate when multiplied seems kind
of weird, giving cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b). Seems like cos(a)cos(b) +
i*sin(a)sin(b) would be more accurate.

I think sine and cosine are a little more real than i. Maybe you don't
actually have a triangle, but it's not like saying 2+2=5. Or i = 1/0.

As regards e, wouldn't it make as much sensel to use a and b as non-mixing
terms, but each equivalent to units? Instead of e^4+9i, have e^4a+9b?

I can accept that this i*i stuff works- I'm not saying I can't follow that-
but I'm not ready to stop asking about it.

-Chuckk