[PD] Re: PD-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 34

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 02:29:21 CET 2005

Oops, responded without changing the subject:

No sweat.
I guess I could elaborate on the specific fudging I see:

When multiplying Z1 and Z2, you take r1*r2*(cos x + i sin x)(cos y + i sin
y)

= r1r2((cos x cos y) + i(cos x sin y) + i(cos y sin x) + i*i*(sin x sin y))

= r1r2((cos x cos y) - (sin x sin y) + i((cos x sin y) + cos y sin x)))
(there's where I see the fudging, in making the sines negative)

= r1r2(cos (x+y) + i sin (x+y))

Now I'm seeing something. Ah ha.
(cos x cos y) = (-cos x * cos y) = -(cos x cos y)
and
-(cos x cos y) + (sin x sin y) = -(cos(x+y)) = cos (x+y)

So the negative is a red herring since cosine is an even function? (I use x
and y not as polar terms, but because I have no theta key)

Crazy. I wonder if that's right.

I wasn't thinking philosophically, but turning an imaginary number into a
real number seems questionable when the only reason for using an imaginary
number is to keep it separated from its real counterpart. The fact that i^2
= -1 has no bearing on a + ib alone.

I'm not very educated- I'm a composition major at a jazz school- but I've
spent some time with a couple books on the subject.

-Chuckk

--
"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover of
knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."