[PD] basic DSP stuff

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 8 09:13:23 CET 2005

Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> That's just it, it's convenient.

Convenience is very important in math. For example, in some geometric
problems it's more convenient to work with polar coordinates instead
of cartesian. A large part of math (and all other sciences, too)
consists of finding simpler methods and explanations than you had
before (while still staying "correct").

The motivation to introduce complex numbers and that funky imaginary
unit i (or j in DSP books) is, well, complex. For a detailed
introduction you might want to review somehting like that:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Algebra:Complex_numbers
Especially the part with the geometric interpretation and Euler's
formula is useful to understand some of the motivation.

Another nice and short introduction I found is this:
http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys374/fall04/files/ComplexNumbers.pdf

It's written for physicists, so it's a bit dumbed down to be more
hands-on. ;) (I'm allowed to say this as I studied physics myself.)

Ciao