[PD] PD OSX packaging redux

Lorenz Schori lorenz.schori at gmx.ch
Wed Nov 9 18:00:13 CET 2005

so let's not mix things together.
1. frank and then david thought about packing pd into fink. i would
like to see it in darwinports. for dependency tracking, installing
externals which rely on shared libraries (i prefer them over static
linked ones) one of those package systems just _is_ better. i stated
in my first answer to david: "i'm just thinking about how pd on mac
could be more conveniant for (doubleclick)users AND (cli)developers".
2. i did read man otool, man install_name_tool, man dyld, man ld and
many others, i know much about shared/static libraries, bundles and
frameworks and i did investigations on the web and in the list
regarding a cleaner and more flexible way to build and maintain
pd.app. i know the problems with packing pd and tracking dependancies
and i know the buildsystems and...
3. [rant here] i don't like the darwin_app makefiles. i suggest you
to break things down into logical units, e.g. throw out the html
docs, do externals seperate, just concentrate on the objective
(building the pd.app). so poeple looking at it will find what they
need. [end of rant]. i don't want to discuss this further because i
don't have the time to work on a better system.

don't get me wrong. i like yours and hans work but i'm just a bit
annoyed that i have to mess around with too much build related
problems if i want to change just little things in pd.

keep up the work but please be a bit open for new ideas and try to
understand them...

lorenz