[PD] GUI freeze

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 10 22:08:40 CET 2005

Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> First off, I apologize if this is a common topic; I couldn't hunt anything
> down in the archives, but I wasn't sure what search strings to use.
>  Often, PD stops drawing numbers for me. I can click on a box and type in a
> number and see it, but if I scroll, it changes the value without showing me
> what it is. Once it starts doing this, it won't stop no matter what. It runs
> across all patches, too, even if I close all patches and reopen it won't
> draw the numbers. It also won't show the numbers for midi input when this
> happens.
> It does this very frequently, though I can't think of what I did just before
> it happened last time (a few minutes ago). Scalar drawing instructions still
> work fine regardless.
>  Any ideas?

The updates for the graphical elements are throttled by Pd, which
could lead to this behaviour. If there is a lot of data passed between
Pd's engine and the GUI, Pd will stop to update some GUI elements so
frequently. I'm not sure, which objects are already throttled, the
number box (Ctl-3) is definitely among them. Do you have a lot of
stuff happening, if this occurs?

Ciao