[PD] PD OSX packaging redux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 10 22:30:30 CET 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 5:45 AM, David Plans Casal wrote:

> Hey
>
> As always in the FLOSS world, by the time you start work on something,
> someone smarter has already done it :-)
>
> On 9 Nov 2005, at 23:12, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Things are mostly already broken down into logical units.  Pd,
>> externals, flext, those all have distinct build systems which are
>> just called from packages/darwin_app/Makefile.  I have now been
>> sponsored to make this build system cross-platform, and
>> cross-packaging system even.  So after this is done, it will be
>> easier to make fink packages, darwinports, RPMs, DEBs, gentoo
>> packages, etc.  All with the huge benefit of having the exact same
>> contents in every package across all platforms.
>
> Could you explain what you mean by 'sponsored'? If you mean you're
> getting funded to actively work on PD's build system, this is
> wonderful news!

Yes, there are currently two sponsors:

Anders Friberg organized sponsorship for a common Windows build, here's
the official sponsor: "The development was sponsored by the Music
acoustics group, KTH, Stockholm (http://www.speech.kth.se/music/) and
the S2S^2 European coordinating action (http://www.s2s2.org)"

And Martin Dupras organized sponsorship of a cross-platform build
system from his university, University of West England.

Thanks much to both of them, they really deserve the praise since they
stepped up and offered and then did the bureaucratic legwork.
Hopefully, this can serve as a model future funding of Pd development.
This just put my lifetime free software earnings above US$2000.  Its a
start...

> I agree with Frank that the point of Fink is upstream libs and
> separation of concerns, which is why I spent hours yesterday looking
> at packaging pd in fink; the result of which is...I can see Hans's
> point:
>
> If we can use the darwin_app/Makefile to produce a Fink package (or
> darwinports, or gentoo, or whatever, especially .deb), then the
> package 'maintainer' job disappears, since all that has to happen is,
> we keep different packages generated from that makefile in
> puredata.info, for people to get, or they get submitted to fink
> tracker, or whatever.
>
> In any case, generating packages from a unified build system makes
> sense. No?

Yes indeed, that is the grand plan, I hope to get the foundation
implemented by the end of the month, along with Windows, OSX, and Linux
binaries all from the same source.  The further packaging (deb, rpm,
fink, darwinports, etc.) will be up to who ever wants to do it.

>> If you look at just your particular OS/package preference, you don't
>> see the whole picture.
>
> Point taken.
>
>> As I have said before, I am not going to stop anyone, but all I ask
>> is that we spend our limited resources on other things besides
>> reinventing the build system wheel.  Fink or Darwinports packages
>> could be useful, so please at the very least, let's work together to
>> have one system that can work for building.
>
> I think I would really appreciate the ability to rely on fink packages
> so that if I need a lib I'm thinking through fink, not a hand-compiled
> mess. And, I'd like to help achieve that. However, I'm not going to
> get in the way of a sensible idea, like unifying builds and generating
> packages from that.
>
> How does Hans' work relate to James'? Is James just packaging .app s
> outside the remit of Hans' darwin_app?

Jamie is basically doing a minor development fork of
package/darwin_app/Makefile.  I'll be incorporating basically all of
his changes now that he's got it all ironed out.

> Maybe we could coalesce efforts at this point?

Sounds like a great idea.  You could start by looking at
packages/darwin_app/Makefile, and take it from there.  But beware,
there will be substantial changes as I make it platform-neutral.