[PD] midiout broken

federico xaero at inwind.it
Sun Nov 13 20:43:08 CET 2005

hi,
I am that guy that wrote about that midiout problem.

>I'm not sure what to do about this...  I patched the ALSA MIDI support from
>the "devel" version and can't tell, looking at the CVS log, who wrote it.

I am looking at s_midi_alsa.c
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pure-data/pd/src/s_midi_alsa.c?rev=1.1.2.2.2.4&view=markup)

I don't see any changes from my local version.
last time I checked midiout functionality with alsa_midi, note and
controllers worked ok, but system exclusive were not transmitted.
in fact I discovered that sys_alsa_putmidibyte never gets called (!).
in addition I am not sure if a message can be sent to alsa byte-per-byte
instead of passing the entire buffer, i should look at the docs...

>It looks like alsa's MIDI implementation is wrong-headed (insists that
>outgoing MIDI be formatted by the application) and would be a pain to
>work around to get midiout to work correctly.

I do not understand this very well.
could you write some more details about this?

>Probably the thing I should do right now is to print out a warning message
>about it when people try to use it...

._.

--
ciao