[PD] midi .smf files in PD

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Mon Nov 14 20:45:43 CET 2005

carmen wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 03:59:46PM -0800, thewade wrote:
>

>>Hello all,
>>
>>I am wondering if pd can read .mid or .smf MIDI files? I am going to
>>write an abstraction for rhythm and pitch control and I would like to be
>>able to save to and read from files that I can edit and use in other
>>programs like Sonar. Is there a MIDI file tool? (I did see the
>>

>theres seq or maybe xeq in /externals/miXed in CVS..
>

>>midifile.c entry on puredata.org, but I want to see if one is included
>>in the CVS PD be default first before I try to compile it)
>>

>this looks rather new, did they knew about the cyclone one, or had issues with it?

I knew about xeq but there was no help file; what docs there are were
recently pointed out to me by Georg Holzmann on this list, who also
added a couple of abstractions that do play and record of .mid files.
To me, xeq seems too complex, as it internalizes a lot of functions that
can be done with basic pd externals, whereas the need for a simple
midifile parser in pd just seems obvious: given the midiin and midiout
objects, why not a midifilein and midifileout object?

I started midifile because I wanted a stripped-down basic midi file
player/recorder to use for looping improvised keyboard riffs and, out of
consideration for users who can't read my brain directly or interpret
the source code, that also had a help patch associated with it;) I
started with the player and tested it on various midi files freely
available on the web. I'm still working on the record part, but you are
welcome to try the player, it's at http://puredata.info/Members/martinrp

Martin