[PD] max msp vs pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 14 20:59:56 CET 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Paul Sellis wrote:

> Sorry for this naive question, but I have heard completly different things
> about jMax :
> - "it's like Max but with bugs added"
> - "it's a prettier young sister of Pure Data"

It was both. However jMax is dead and all its users have migrated to
PureData. The #dataflow IRC channel (on irc.freenode.net) was started by
3rd party developers of jMax (originally as #jmax) and for a very long
time was almost jMax-only, but the balance tilted in late 2003 and now
it's almost PureData-only.

jMax is mostly a "running gag" on pd-list, pd-dev, #dataflow, and such.
A good way to troll is to pretend to prefer jMax for everyday use.