[PD] max msp vs pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 14 23:36:49 CET 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:

> >Jitter is a clone of GridFlow.
> -Jitter is rumored to be 'inspired' by nato 0,55 of the (in)famous
>  NN-aglomerate.

According to the NN-Borgs, everything descended from NATO, so, whatever.

> -I have always been puzzled by this insistence on using java for the GUI.
>  Seems to me also being the main reason why people disbanded jMax.
>  and moved either to PD or to Max/MSP.

I wouldn't think so, but I agree that it was one of the several major
reasons.

> >Oh, and as far as I can tell, IRCAM has destroyed the mailing-list
> >archives of the old jMax, which conveniently removes most traces of the
> >existence of former 3rd-party developers.
> -I don't know that's the reason, but its disappearance is strange, to say
>  the least.

Well, in the last year of existence of the mailing-list, almost all of
what was posted were complaints, flames, invitations to switch to Pd...
not much more.

Possibly they prefer that part of history to be forgotten. That would
explain why they didn't reply to your request of putting the archives back
online.