[PD] max msp vs pd

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Tue Nov 15 16:51:16 CET 2005

> Important decisions that affected the work of many open-source
> developers were made behind closed doors... and suggestions from the
> open-source community were too easily rejected.
>
> I think the lesson was that to have an "open project" you need to be
> able to partly relinquish control of the code to the community... the
> developers of IRCAM were trying very hard to achieve a "perfect"
> architecture,  which is to their credit ......  but their tight control
> alienated the open source developers ... which ultimately killed the
> project.

Its scary how sudden a good platform can vanish, hope Cycling74 can
sustain a while. But what happens to MAX/msp users when they are out of
business for some reasons? Of course the software doesn't stop suddenly
(maybe in the DRM future this might be possible) but perhaps going to
break with the next OS update and nobody out to fix it. Vendorlockin at
best or as the NNbots used to say, corporate slaves :)

Cheers,

Malte
--
Malte Steiner