[PD] midi .smf files in PD

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Nov 16 01:01:51 CET 2005

Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> thewade wrote:
>
>> In the mean time if someone starts to code, I might suguest that they
>> merge qlist and midifile(in|out) in functionality. For example the
>> midifile tool reads in a midi file like a qlist so that you can
>> rewind, jump to points, insert and delete entries as well as save the
>> file. It might be as easy as starting with the qlist.c file, renaming
>> it and adding .smf and .mid file format serializers. (I say this as
>> if I know
>

> that is how xeq project started and it was a mistake.  It took me
> some effort to get rid of qlistness there...  otoh, adding mifi
> i/o to Pd as a built-in feature could be handy for some people,
> even if most would still prefer to connect Pd to a real sequencing
> program.  The easy way of adding that is to patch the qlist itself
> and forget about random access, loops, overdubs and such.  Forking
> out yet another qlist clone is a bad idea.

That's what I'm trying to do with midifile. It just outputs each MIDI
packet as a list from one outlet, with the current tick number on
another. (It doesn't parse the MIDI since that can be done externally
with [route].) It should be easy to pack those into a qlist and later
edit the qlist, then play it back into a midifile to save it in .mid
format. If the writer part only writes type0 files it can be quite
simple, since there is only one track (and I will have time any day now
to actually write it...type1 needs preallocation of unknown amounts of
memory). Another object could always be made that generates type1
(multitrack) from type0 files.

Martin