[PD] laptop linux

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 21:34:51 CET 2005

Hi Tim, Hi Frank, Hi list,

  Well, I know graphics acceleration is done outside of the CPU. That's what I meant. I bought an Acer Aspire 1691 WLMi about 2 1/2 weeks ago, my first laptop (and considering my paycheck, my last for a long, long while). I tried for 2 weeks to get Linux working with the 1280x800 display to no avail, and to get pidip working. Then I discovered a few things.

  All you guys are probably using better distros than me. I'm giving up on Fedora as of now, but I saw success stories on some of the Linux Laptop sites, so I decided to give it a go. But, alas, my graphics chips is not the Radeon x700 promised on the website, not even the x600 I saw in some postings. It is an Intel i915 shared-memory chip with no accelleration. Intel's driver did not work at all, so I was stuck with VESA at 1024x768. Pidip never worked even though it compiled (with ffmpeg cvs from the 7th of July 2004 by the way - I tried 6 dates...), but from searching the list it looks like it would never work anyway - xvinfo reports no display adaptors found.

  And the performance - I get 75% CPU usage for something I have seen take 48% on a 2.4GHz P4. I have read something on the net about using ICC (Intel's version of gcc) rather than the standard one. Is this what you do?

  I may be doing something stupid, or just ignorant, but you caught me just as I am about to sell this thing on ebay (the shop have refused to take it back) and buy another laptop. The pidip is the main reason, because even if I can get the proc up to speed, I want to do live video.

  Any Ideas? PS the list archive search engine reports no results for the search string 'pd' - maybe it's not working - I'll email Johannes.

  On the edge,
  Ed

->
->