[PD] laptop linux

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 21:49:19 CET 2005

Hey Derek

  Once again, I write, and somebody else is doing so at that very moment!
  I shall try gentoo, and the flags, but the graphics thing will still stop me if I can't find a solution (see last posting about p(i)d(i)p).

  Thanks for your advice,
  Ed

derek holzer <derek at x-i.net> wrote:
  Hi Ed,

Ed Kelly wrote:

> Pentium M under Linux is Pentium 3.

It seems to have a lot to do with what compiler flags you use:

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2308

Maybe there's still some hope with compiling your whole system with
custom flags under Gentoo?

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Gentoo_compile_flags:

> If you have a Pentium-M cpu you should use "-march=pentium3" since it's a Pentium 3 deriviate, unless you're using GCC >=3.4 which is marked as unstable. GCC 3.4 has a specific march-setting for Pentium-M machines.

Looks like with GCC >=3.4 you could use the -march=pentium-m flag.

Other interesting links:

http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/29/006226&tid=137&tid=118
http://sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=635