[PD] laptop linux

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 16 21:53:10 CET 2005

Hallo,
Ed Kelly hat gesagt: // Ed Kelly wrote:

> All you guys are probably using better distros than me. I'm giving
> up on Fedora as of now, but I saw success stories on some of the
> Linux Laptop sites, so I decided to give it a go. But, alas, my
> graphics chips is not the Radeon x700 promised on the website, not
> even the x600 I saw in some postings. It is an Intel i915
> shared-memory chip with no accelleration. Intel's driver did not
> work at all, so I was stuck with VESA at 1024x768. Pidip never
> worked even though it compiled (with ffmpeg cvs from the 7th of July
> 2004 by the way - I tried 6 dates...), but from searching the list
> it looks like it would never work anyway - xvinfo reports no display
> adaptors found.

I also have one of the newer Intel chips in my laptop, GM900, which I
think, is the same as yours, just a different name. Here it is
accelerated fine, but I use x.org. The driver for that card is quite
new in X, and it's not supported in xfree86.

Before you sell it, I would recommend to test it with Ubuntu. Almost
everything worked out of the box on my machine using Ubuntu, I just
needed to tweek a bit with Wireless. It's important to also load the
agpart module and some more stuff to get acceleration working. I don't
know Fedora, so I cannot comment on how this works. I can just say
that it is possible to make it work, and Ubuntu is one of the easiest
and fastest way to get up to speed.

Ciao