[PD] Gui parameter query

carmen ix at replic.net
Thu Nov 17 12:06:52 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 11:49:02AM +0100, megale wrote:

> > Hallo,
> > Jo?o Miguel Pais hat gesagt: // Jo?o Miguel Pais wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any possibility to query the current parameters of any gui
> > > objects (canvas, etc.)? To know how big/
> > > wide / what label it has?
>
>  it might be a collective d?j?-vu...
>
> In the attached file you will get an example where it's possible to get the width, the heigth, x
> position, y position, and font size of the main canvas, with the help of the object [textfile],
> but I wonder what you want to do with it...

some of us want to dynamically construct guis without resorting to a roughshod collection of undocumented internal-messages, 'dyn', 'tot' or other tricks..or giving up and creating something standalone (a la pd_objects.tk / gripd / ptl etc)

a standard way to set/get all properties via patching will likely be pretty easy to with desiredata, something like send a 'color' message and 'color 255 255 255' comes out the outlet, for routing to a colorpicker object..

or maybe wrap a GOP abstraction into a datastructure widget, for those who prefer to avoid cables,