[PD] makefilename-bug (was: number to symbol)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 17 14:06:41 CET 2005

s.koepf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>  > [...]
>  >
>  > or - if you prefer built-ins like me- use [makefilename %c]
>  >

> I mentioned this before but maybe it was the wrong thread, anyway I'm
> still interested what happens on other systems with this:
>
> [123]
> |
> [makefilename %c]
> |
> [symbol]
>
> Here (0.38.3 and 0.39.0, on XP) it freezes the patch. This happens only
> with 123 and the connection to [symbol].

hi

your patch does not freeze anything on my machine, but this is only
because [symbol] denotes (in my world) and object called "symbol".
what you mean is rather a symbol-box (Ctrl-4), which could be
represented better (imho) by [symbol\

now why?
the solution is pretty simple: pd does a very bad job when it comes to
escaping special characters. "{" and "}" are such special characters (in
tcl world); this is why they are banned from normal user-input.
however, 123 is the ascii value of "{", and by using [symbol\ you are
sending this special symbol to the pd-gui (tcl/tk!); now tcl uses "{"
for starting a list and WAITS for "}" to end the list.
if you manage to send "}" (ascii 125) to the pd-gui, pd will unfreeze
and everything is fine again.

example:

[123, 125(

[makefilename %c]