[PD] PD and latency on kernel 2.6.14.2-lsm

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Nov 18 12:30:28 CET 2005

Hi Wade,

thewade wrote:

> How do I tune PD to run as fast as possible?

I'm sure you have a lot of these covered already!

* Run as root (or with LSM).
* Run with the -rt flag.
* Ditch Gnome and use something super-lightweight like fluxbox.
* Make sure there is no IRQ conflicts between your graphics card, sound
card and peripherals:
--> http://tinyurl.com/7vhmc
* Using a shared-memory graphics card, such as the Intel chipset Frank
Barknecht discussed with Ed Kelly this week, is reported by RME to cause
dropouts:
--> http://tinyurl.com/dcdvk
* Also look into your hard drive access times if any disk activity needs
to happen during performance:
--> http://tinyurl.com/cedtl
* Realtime, low latency kernel patches (does not apply to PPC achitecture!)
* Check out Linux Security Mode patches to run RT as non-root.
* Don't use frequently-updated graphics in your patches (i.e. VU meters
or number boxes connected to a fast stream of numbers, etc etc).
* Run one instance of pd -noaudio for your GUI, and use OSC to
communicate with another instance of pd -nogui for your DSP. The poor
man's multithreading!
* Only start PD with as many ALSA/JACK channels as you need.
* Consider using -nodac/-noadc if they are not needed.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 74: