[PD] PD and latency on kernel 2.6.14.2-lsm

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat Nov 19 00:15:45 CET 2005

> Does it help to run PD using nice? e.g. 'nice -5 pd' and jack with
> a priority of 70 or so?

i doubt that ... pd is not a proper jack client, just renicing doesn't
really help.
the best latency i could achieve with the modified scheduler in pd,
that tries to make pd a proper jack client.

> if I use -jack in my pdrc then -rt does nothing, right? I thought -rt
> wsa for alsa opperation.

of you use pd with -rt, it will try to give pd realtime
capabilities ... but this doesn't really help, if jack doesn't have
realtime capabilities.

if you need lowest latencies, i'd recommend, you check out devel, since
it reduces the latency by one io block size ...

but there are some design decisions in pd (it's better in devel, but
still not optimal), that will _never_ allow pd to become a very low
latency system...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs