[PD] IRQ conflicts, acpi, and linux audio

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Sun Nov 20 00:19:33 CET 2005

Hello pd and lau lists,

I am having trouble figuring out how to actually change the irq's of specific devices.
I read the ardour thread pointed to by http://puredata.info/community/pdwiki/Optimize
and the linux hardware stability guide (http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html),
and I now know how to find the current IRQ's used on my machine, and I also know what
they SHOULD be, but I still do not know how to actually change them.
My BIOS only allows me to disable my touchpad, parellel port (disabled) and IR port (disabled).

My goals with this project are to have a faster audio machine, and hopefully to not have to
disable acpi in order to run linux. I am not sure of the motherboard in this laptop, and the
laptop distributor will not return my emails. (If someone can help me to figure that out I
would be grateful! The host bridge is an SiS 755 - is that the motherboard or just the IDE
controller?)

>From the ardour thread (the Mark Knecht part)
> Here"s the order of interrupt priority on a non-APIC machine:
>
> 0, 1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
>
> 0 is the highest priority
> 7 is the lowest priority

my irq's:

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   15819314          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      15630          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          0          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd:usb3
  4:          0          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd:usb2
  5:    3769675          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd:usb1, yenta, yenta, hdsp, ohci1394, eth0
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:      13339          XT-PIC  SiS SI7012, SiS SI7013 Modem
 12:       9093          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      39815          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     141222          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          1

What I would like to have:

cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   15819314          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      15630          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          0          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd:usb3
  4:          0          XT-PIC  ohci_hcd:usb2
  5:    3769675          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd:usb1
  7:        ???          XT-PIC  eth0
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:        ???          XT-PIC  ohci1394
 10:        ???          XT-PIC  yenta, yenta, hdsp  (I think this is both the cardbus and the multiface?)
 11:      13339          XT-PIC  SiS SI7012
 12:       9093          XT-PIC  i8042
 13:        ???          XT-PIC  SiS SI7013 Modem
 14:      39815          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     141222          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          1

The acpi problem is that the system hangs (with acpi on) when fedora tried to activate eth0.

Thank you for your help? I would open my laptop but I doubt that there is much I can do in there. Probably not
a whole lot of shuffling I can do in a laptop.
-thewade