purepd WAS: Re: [PD] comport and bascom avr / ascii2any

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Nov 20 02:27:25 CET 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> On Nov 18, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> At first I thought: No way, you'd need at least [list2symbol] for
>>> that, which is impossible to build with just internal objects. Then I
>>> said to myself: Hm, maybe it's not impossible? Then I said down and
>>> it
>>> wasn't even that hard to do a [list2symbol] clone using just
>>> builtins:
>>> list-2s.pd is attached. Oops, there goes another external previously
>>> used in RRADical ... ;)
>>
>> That's great!  I've started a project I call "PurePd".  Whenever I get
>> inspired, I write a Pd patch that is a clone of a useful external.  I
>> just added it to abstractions/purepd and the build system.  It would
>> be
>> great if you could contribute this patch as [list2symbol] and anything
>> else that you can think of.  I have a Max-style [counter], [speedlim],
>> and even a [metro] in the works.
>
> I already added it to the [list]-abs renamed to "list-l2s", because
> maybe there will be a "list-s2l" later, too. Although I currently
> think: No way to do this without externals, but who knows ... ;)
>
> I think, in this case it feel natural to put it in [list]-abs, as it
> is dealing with [list] and is technically very similar to the other
> list abstractions I did.
>
> I'm not really convinced that the PurePd objects should carry the same
> name as the externals they replace. I see, that these makes them
> instant replacements, however some externals like the infamous
> [counter] and [scale] are already in name-clash with differing
> functionality, and to add another version then doesn't seem right. I'd
> tend to prefer a prefix-namespace for such stuff, like I did for
> list-abs and also in rrad.ical (which has a rrad.scale.pd for
> example).
>
> I like the sound of something like [pure.scale], which is attached
> (though still missing the log. scaling...)

Sorry, I should have mentioned this: I got geiger namespaces working in
my upcoming release.  Its a simple patch to Pd actually. I am in the
process of documenting a "library directory" format, which is just a
directory with all of the help files and objects in it.  The objects
can be in either .pd format or .pd_darwin/.pd_linux/.dll.  You can use
it two ways:  [purepd/scale]  or -lib scale, then [scale].  The next
thing to do would be to make an [include]/[import] whatever object, so
that you could specify which libs your patch is using.  I think Günter
had one sketched out.

I hope to have Windows, Linux, and MacOS X Pd-extended releases by the
end of the weekend with basic libdir functionality included.  Its
already working on my machine.  I'll be checking in a patch to
packages/patches soon.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore