purepd WAS: Re: [PD] comport and bascom avr / ascii2any

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Nov 20 20:09:32 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I intend to do a benchmark session on all the list abs, that have
> equivalents in other libraries like Zexy. I'm curious, how much slower
> the abstraction versions actually are and which of them maybe should be
> included directly into Pd's [list], because the performance hit is too
> big.

I think that the ones which should be put directly in [list] are either
the ones who have bad time orders (e.g. the duration of the operation is
proportional to the square of the number of elements...), or just the ones
which are used most often in high-speed situations (even if indirectly).

Better again is to try figuring out what else could be coded in C in a way
that abstractions can use it and become faster and so need not be recoded
in C themselves. It's all about having as little C as possible.