[PD] OSC in pd canonical (was Re: Re: pure == slow, impure == fast ? was purepd)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Nov 21 09:19:41 CET 2005

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> Which begs the question; why isn't OSC functionality included in Pd
> canonical? After all, OSC is the new defacto standard in control
> messages isn't it? And Midi functionality is included already in Pd.

I think, too, that OSC should be shipped with Pd main. It could be
shipped similar too [expr] in it's own space.

> Frank I think yr on the right track in terms of making the user experience
> easier. Like it or not, users want to download one binary and install
> it, or apt-get install it. Do you see it being possible to replace pool
> functionality with the new list and data structures stuff?

No. What is missing in Pd is a "hash" or "map" object, which allows
fast lookup of data by keyword. Actually also a proper "vector" is
missing, where one can store and retrieve lists by index number
without having to traverse the whole vector sequentially.

Ciao