[PD] sndfiler - threaded soundfiler

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Mon Nov 21 12:35:34 CET 2005

Hallo!

> may I make the official dumb question? what is a threaded soundfiler?
> what's the difference between a, uhhh, non-threaded soundfiler, audio
> or  just resources management?
if you load a large soundfile with [soundfiler], while you are playing
some music, you will hear a (short or long - depends on the soundfile
size) audio drop out - because loading takes quite some time and will so
block pd's main thread.
In [sndfiler] the loading is done in a helper thread - so it will be a
little bit longer, but shouldn't block audio ...

> does this change anything about the existing size limit of the array
> size?  (don't remember how much it was, but not suited to long files)
yes - the size is much bigger ... (don't remember now the exact nr.)
but anyway, that's only a define and can be changed ...

LG
Georg