purepd WAS: Re: [PD] comport and bascom avr / ascii2any

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Mon Nov 21 23:51:08 CET 2005

> You took the works right out of my mouth!  I think that once we
> start thinking about Pd as a language in itself, then people will
> start to think how to optimize it as well.  There is no doubt in my
> mind that C code would be faster than Pd for most things, but, like
> Java, Ruby, SmallTalk, there is something to be gained by using it to
> program. Assembly is even faster than C, so why aren't people writing
> objects in assembly?

well, it's clear, that it's absolutely nonsense to write some stuff in
a low-level language like c or assembler.
aspects are:
- coding speed
- runtime speed
- code readability / maintainability
- level of abstraction

i wouldn't write a some control logic of a composition or installation
in asselber, nor would i write a frequently used message-object in pd
or any of the high-level scripting languages like guile, python or
ruby...

using assembler has 2 features:
- runtime speed (simd)
- full access to the architecture (there are machine features, that no
language i know implements)

mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs