[PD] OSC in pd canonical (was Re: Re: pure == slow, impure == fast ? was purepd)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Nov 22 09:44:03 CET 2005

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > No. What is missing in Pd is a "hash" or "map" object, which allows fast
> > lookup of data by keyword. Actually also a proper "vector" is missing,
> > where one can store and retrieve lists by index number without having to
> > traverse the whole vector sequentially.
>
> What should their feature-sets be? Because i don't know what "proper"
> means here. Already existing vector-like things in Pd would be
> arrays-of-floats, arrays-of-structs, and lists-of-atoms.

I miss arrays of lists with arbitrary length, or do I just miss them?

Data struct arrays come close but the stored data is not of arbitrary
length or format, but has to be another struct that was previously
defined. DS-arrays of DS-arrays may do the trick, but they are might
tricky to handle. I just want something like a fast lookup of lines in
something like "[textfile]" by number.

> What would the "hash" or "map" object would do that [pool] doesn't ?
>
> What about Georg Holzmann's PdContainer ?

I'm talking about Pd internals here.

Ciao