[PD] PD Documentation Meeting / Notes

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Nov 22 21:49:57 CET 2005

Hey all,

The next PD Documentation/Workshop/Curriculum Meeting will be:

Nov 29th, 2005
11.00 Pacific Time
14.00 Eastern Time
19.00 UTC
20.00 Central European

#dataflow on freenode again.

Here are some notes on today's meeting (Nov 22nd)

* we all seemed to agree that Unicode would be great in PD.
   (This is one of those pd-dev cross-over issues)

* When is translation done? Per module? Per phase?
   How do we keep from redoing translation work?

* Problem of relative font sizes on platforms
   (We need to fix this before the templates are really final, since they
   need to be tested and working on all platforms)

Different Aspects of "Documentation":

Curriculum:
  - Collection of Tutorials

Reference
  - PDDP Reference (one for each object)
  - All_about (reference for a theme (eg looping))

reference links to all_about patches
all_about links to reference patches
all_about links to tutorials
tutorials will link to all_about patches

Documentation can depend on one external, pddp_link.

Style Guide:
* Reference Templates should fit on a 800x600 screen.
* Change template-4 to use template-6 colours and template-6 "more info"
* Colour Coded templates for tutorials and all_about patches.
* Make sure colours work on a greyscale printer

Ben has taken on the responsibility of creating for PDDP reference
templates based on the discussion @ the meeting above.

For the nest meeting:

* deal with the font issue.
* Look at and evaluate new templates for reference
* start tutorial and all_about templates
* standard GUI elements

then the rest of the agenda from last week, which is more like a todo list:

   - Philosophy
      - How should PD be taught?
      - Rules for developing tutorials/workshops/curriculum

   - Programming (overlaps with pd-dev discussions)
      - Meta data for patches/tutorials/etc..
      - "Help" menu

HCS will post the log from the meeting at http://puredata.org/dev/pddp

Thanks all for coming today