[PD] zexy and Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC3.app

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 23 07:00:34 CET 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Burt wrote:

> When using Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC3, I would like to load several of the
> zexy externals.  Previously, I would just put zexy in the "Pd binaries
> to load" preference setting which of course would add lines to the
> plist in my Preferences so the externals in zexy.pd_darwin would load.
>  Now that we've decided to have separately compiled zexy externals in
> the extra folder instead of one big zexy.pd_darwin, how would I tell
> Pd to load them when the Startup options only give me ten slots?  Say
> I wanted to load Gem, xsample, vasp, dyn~ pmpd, cyclone, memento,
> toxy, limiter~, zexy~, and envrms~.  Can I specify some libraries as
> startup flags?  Is it bad form to load more libraries than one is
> actually using in any given patch?  Should there be some way of
> specifying which libraries to load with each patch?

There are a few solutions in the works for this.  Günter Geiger's
[using] object would be quite nice, it allows you to load libs from a
patch (i.e. [using zexy].  Then, I plan on redoing the preference
panels so that they are more usable, including unlimited paths and libs
fields.

Its not a big deal to load all the libs, it'll just take longer to
start, and use up more RAM.

> Also, when I used to load the full zexy.pd_darwin, my Pd startup time
> was fairly slow.  I didn't really test not loading zexy, but I have
> noticed that this new Pd extended loads faster.  Were the zexy
> externals one reason load-time took so long?  Do extra externals
> effect Pd's performance?  I'm wondering if anyone's done any tests.

With objects compiled individually, the code is only loaded when it is
used.  With a lib, the whole lib is loaded on startup.  So yes, not
have a lib will make it startup quicker

.hc