[PD] nosferatu namespaces (was: zexy and Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC3.ap p)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 23 16:31:49 CET 2005

Burt wrote:
> So, what solutions do I have for my problem?  If I cannot put more than ten zexy externals to load at startup, do I need to just put zexy.pd_darwin back into my extras folder and load it?  While creating objects neamed [Gem] or [pmpd] might work, [zexy] won't do anything until I have zexy.pd_darwin in my extras folder.  This leads me to my last question:  libraries and externals (like [z~]) can be loaded through the Startup script, while only libraries can be loaded with a [library] object being placed in a patch, right?

no it is far simpler.
if a library is compiled as single externals (like zexy in the
pd-extended) you have a dll (in your case .pd_darwin) for each object.
the first time you create a [z~] object, the z~.pd_linux will get loaded
and that's it.
you don't have to bother about loading zexy (as a whole lib, which
doesn't exist in the extended-build) at all, as long as the .pd_darwin
files you need are in a searched place (e.g. extra/).
that's the idea of splitting a library up into single externals.

> I appreciate having all the zexy objects separated to keep the RAM usage down, but it seems to complicate things a bit.  Unless anyone has a better solution, I'm just going to stick zexy.pd_darwin back in my extras folder and load that.

you must be _very_ low of RAM is this is a concern to you.
the zexy.pd_linux is about 148k big, the zexy.pd_darwin might be bigger,
but i doubt if it is larger than 300k.

in theory it should be totally transparent, so i don't understand your
problem at all. (i understand that you might be bothered by the error pd
throws, when it fails to load zexy.pd_darwin; but have you tried to
create [z~]?).

the only problem that might arise is, if you have a nameclash (namely
cyclone might be a problem); you only have to make sure the nameclashing
objects you want from zexy are loaded before any other library; this you
can do via the startup-flags (if you want to load the offending lib via
startup flags)

additionally you could try to specify more than 10 libraries at startup
by using this notation: "cyclone:Gem:toxy" in 1 single slot. (i haven't
tested whether this works, but i don't see a reason why it shouldn't)

mfg.adr.
IOhannes