[PD] zexy and Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC3.app

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 23 16:35:34 CET 2005

Burt wrote:

> Also, when I used to load the full zexy.pd_darwin, my Pd startup time was fairly slow.  I didn't really test not loading zexy, but I have noticed that this new Pd extended loads faster.  Were the zexy externals one reason load-time took so long?  Do extra externals effect Pd's performance?  I'm wondering if anyone's done any tests.

i doubt that. i can only test on linux and i don't use pd-extended, but
here's a test i just made:

zmoelnig at ferrari:~$ time pd pdquit.pd
pd_gui: pd process exited

real    0m0.466s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.023s
zmoelnig at ferrari:~$ time pd -lib zexy pdquit.pd
pd_gui: pd process exited

real    0m0.466s
user    0m0.003s
sys     0m0.017s

the "pdquit.pd" just closes pd with a loadbang.
so there is not really a difference.

trying the same with "-nogui" i get:

zmoelnig at ferrari:~$ time pd -nogui pdquit.pd

real    0m0.004s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.002s
zmoelnig at ferrari:~$ time pd -nogui -lib zexy pdquit.pd
         ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
         ©  the zexy external  2.1  ©
         © (l)  forum::für::umläute ©
         ©  compiled:  Oct 27 2005  ©