[PD] midi problems on Ubuntu

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 23 20:55:25 CET 2005

Hallo,
carmen hat gesagt: // carmen wrote:

> says you...i say unless you need esoteric interapp routing
> capabilities and are on i686 and want to patch your kernel and run
> everything as root its not worth fighting with this userlayer util
> to get it to run as smoothly (in terms of eliminating audio
> dropouts) as ALSA's dmix or hardware mix..

What's hard about installing two software packages: jackd and
qjackctl? I run a vanilla kernel, not patching at all. I also don't
run as root, I use the realtime-lsm which can be installed through
Synaptic as well in one small additional step. Dmix is okay for a
desktop system, but not really a proper solution for music production.

And depending on the card you have, dmix can be hard to setup as well.
See my Dmix-Howto for a detailed example using the ICE1712 cards.

Ciao