[PD] nosferatu namespaces

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 23 21:41:31 CET 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo!
>
>>> - there should also be a way to not load all externs of a lib (like
>>> in  python "import nop from zexy" or in C++ "using zexy::nop" ...)
>> The libdir format/geiger namespaces do this if the objects are
>> individual files.  i.e. [zexy/drip].  This is one of the many reasons
>>  why the Pd-extended builds avoid the old lib format whenever
>> possible.
> yes, I know that this is possible, but (again) it is in some cases
> simply not possible/meaningful to make for each object an individual
> binary, and I was thinking about that

Please describe a situation where its not possible and one where its
not meaningful.  I don't see it at all.   If you are talking about
sharing code among objects, you can do this with a DLL/shared lib.  For
an example, Thomas got his flext externals working this way in
Pd-extended: each object is its own file, but flext is a shared lib.

As for meaningful, I can't think of an example where the meaning of the
objects are related to the format that they are stored and loaded from
the filesystem.

____

"Information wants to be free."
                                      -Stewart Brand