[PD] nosferatu namespaces

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 23 23:41:24 CET 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo!
>
>> Please describe a situation where its not possible and one where its
>> not meaningful.  I don't see it at all.   If you are talking about
>> sharing code among objects, you can do this with a DLL/shared lib.
>> For  an example, Thomas got his flext externals working this way in
>> Pd-extended: each object is its own file, but flext is a shared lib.
> hm, okay, of course, that's possible ...
>
> just an example: PDContainer.pd_linux has 528kB here on my system, if
> I compile only one object: e.g. h_map.pd_linux has 213kB - so the half
> of the whole lib (and there are now 10 objects in PDContainer) ...
> ... okay, after thinking I must admit that I can make one "master"
> shared lib and then one binary for each object of course ... :)
>
> ... but is this more user-friendly ?

Yes, you have much more flexibility in the way you load libs, and its
much easier to deal with name conflicts.

> e.g. (correct me if I'm wrong) in windows you would have to load this
> "master-lib" before the other externals or move it to a folder like
> windows\system ...
> (at least with threadlib and sndfiler, which works exactly in your
> proposed way, I had this problem ... if threadlib.dll was only in
> pd/extra, then loading of sndfiler.dll failed - I had to move
> threadlib.dll to windows/system )

That I don't know about, but it would suck (but not be surprising) if
it was true.  I would guess its a matter of paths, and there is
probably a way to set the path.  Installing into %SystemDirectory%
(usually C:\windows\system32) is not so bad though, that's why that
directory is there.  And the Inno Setup installer can handle that quite
well.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
						        				-A.J. Muste