[PD] nosferatu namespaces

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 24 19:27:17 CET 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Thomas Grill wrote:

>> Please describe a situation where its not possible and one where its
>> not meaningful.  I don't see it at all.   If you are talking about
>> sharing code among objects, you can do this with a DLL/shared lib.
>> For an example, Thomas got his flext externals working this way in
>> Pd-extended: each object is its own file, but flext is a shared lib.
>>

> Not sure if i'm the best example for splitting of external libraries
> into single externals.
> In my own externals i often opted for packing externals into libaries
> because i can optimize across externals using C++ and inline
> functions. See xsample for reference. It would be pretty difficult to
> get the same performance in the same compact amount of maintainable
> code with C and split external objects.
> I'm sure that everything _can_ in principle be realized in separate
> externals, but i still don't see the reason why it should be.

Well, for the very good reason that it works.  Right now there is a
working namespace if you compile objects as individual files.  There is
no namespace with objects compiled into libs, and even worse, all
symbols are loaded when a lib is loaded whether or not they are used.

Plus packaging objects as individual files means that there can easily
be a common library format for all objects, no matter what language
they are written in, compiled or not.

Also, there is a strong precedent for this:  Java's jars.  They are
directories with individual .class files compressed into a .zip file
named .jar.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/

____

publicity.