[PD] graphics card

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Fri Nov 25 18:06:43 CET 2005

I forgot to answer this:

> i don't understand if doing graphics is hitting the cpu or not, ot if
> having an agp card will alleviate that.  i am also synthesising sound
> too.  thanks all.

Graphiccards these days are heavy optimized for 3D but they are just
helpers for your cpu(s) so generating graphics will hit the cpu in any
case. While most of the workload of 3D stuff is done in a graphiccard
like Ati or Nvidia (when the drivers work well), 2D like videoprocessing
is mostly done in the cpu. In general its a matter of experiences and
what are and how do you want to archieve your (artistic) goals but I
guess you got a pretty rig there so start to make your own experiences
which money can't buy.

Cheers,

Malte

--