[PD] Canvas editor patch 2

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Nov 28 09:54:02 CET 2005

Hallo,
João Miguel Pais hat gesagt: // João Miguel Pais wrote:

> >To do dynamic sends you don't need to use the editmode etc. messages,
> >if you require pd >= 0.39 for your patch (which I think, everyone
> >should use anyways, but I said so several times already.)
>
> sorry, but I just found an inconvenient of your sollution:
>
> many objects use send / receive symbols with variables, $0-aa, $1-ubb,
> etc. It isn't possible to use those variables correctly because when
> they're incorporated in messages they take another value - or at least I
> couldn't do it (sometimes I still make confusions with the several classes
> in pd/max).

You have this problem with the generated objects as well - as they,
too, need to be built out of messages. That is, if you provide a
symbol box to let users type in the name, they cannot type $0 or $1,
instead they need to type in the values of $0 or $1.

Plus: There is no "$0" variable in messages! $0 is an object variable,
so to get it into a message, the messages needs to use another $x,
like $1, and replace that with the incoming value of [f $0] or [symbol
$0-aa] or [f $0]-[makefilename pd-%d-patch].

Besides that, there are some new methods of messages in 0.39 like
"adddollar 1" or "adddollsym 2-aa, which can be handy. See the help
file for messages, subpatch "pd changing-messages" for details on this.

Ciao