[PD] Canvas editor patch 2

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Nov 28 10:12:54 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> You have this problem with the generated objects as well - as they,
> too, need to be built out of messages. That is, if you provide a
> symbol box to let users type in the name, they cannot type $0 or $1,
> instead they need to type in the values of $0 or $1.
>
> Plus: There is no "$0" variable in messages! $0 is an object variable,
> so to get it into a message, the messages needs to use another $x,
> like $1, and replace that with the incoming value of [f $0] or [symbol
> $0-aa] or [f $0]-[makefilename pd-%d-patch].

BTW, if you consider:

1. an object construction as a message sent thru [s objectmaker]

2. abstraction instantiation as being the abstraction classname and
   arguments sent as a message to [s objectmaker] as if it were a
   messagebox banged and sending to object constructors as if they were
   messageboxes too

Then $ can be seen as consistent across objectboxes and messagebox. Let me
give an easy example:

say you have foo.pd containing just [bar $2 $4] and then in another patch
you create a [foo 2 3 5 7]. Then it's as if the [bar] object was created
by banging this chain:

[foo 2 3 5 7(

[bar $2 $4(

[s objectmaker]

do I make sense here?

PS: However, my former proposal that $0 in messagebox could mean "get the
selector of the incoming message" is not consistent with the above because
it confuses the classname with the instance id.