[PD] any problems with debian on the Acer laptops ? (formerly [PD] linux distribution choice)

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 10:18:12 CET 2005

Hi Julien,

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 23:19 +0100, julienbreval at free.fr wrote:
> > download the latest knoppix, the DVD image if you have the bandwidth. then
> > you can install gentoo using tar, or debian using debootstrap, and chroot
> > into it and set up the kernel and modules for your hw..
>
> I was thinking about something similar but I don't have much time currently for
> doing it

I don't think there's going to be a quick fix. I've just been installing
Gentoo on an Acer travelmate, and in addition to the buggy DSDT, there
are several kernel options that don't work together like PCMCIA support
at boot and ACPI. Unless you are very lucky, I think you will have to
either do what Frank says and lose some features via the kernel boot
time flags, or compile your own kernel.

Have you checked if anyone has done it before on http://www.linux-
laptop.net/?

--