[PD] Pd-extended Build System is ready for the public

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 29 08:03:28 CET 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 6:06 PM, carmen wrote:

>> I've found so far that finding the right HOWTO has been key, I am
>> wondering whether you know of one.  Good docs for MinGW have been
>> elusive, and there are quite a few little details that are hard to
>> track down, like when to use MinGW make, and when to use Cygwin make.
>
> you dont need anything from Cygwin for MinGW, that was one of the
> reasons it was created in the first place...that stuff on the wiki
> regarding stealing bits here and there from cygwin is
> misinformation... for some rare thing that isnt in msys or the DTK
> like PNG/JPeG lib needed by gridflow, you can get pure-win32 ports at
> gnuwin32.sourceforge.net
>
> i do remmeber sometimes the included make would screw up but if you
> copied /bin/mingw32-make.exe to /bin/make.exe after installing it
> worked nicely..

I wonder why the MSYS installer tells you not use use the MinGW make.
There is even a check in the MSYS installer that checks to see that you
are not using the MinGW make.  But actually, the MinGW make did work
better for me too.

FYI: I didn't find a "curl" for MSYS/MinGW, but Cygwin's has been
working fine for me.

.hc