[PD] help with rfft~

Stefan Turner stefanlturner at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 14:20:32 CET 2005

I think the standard way of convolution - or at least
the one I use - which gives ok results, is to have one
'carrier' signal, which is filtered by the 'modulator'
signal. (I think that's what they're called.)
Basically, first get the magnitude of the modulator:
sqrt(real^2 + imag^2). Then:

output real = carrier real * modulator magnitude
output imag = carrier imag * modulator magnitude

The outputs go into a [rifft~].

Remember, both carrier and modulator must be windowed
first, e.g. with hanning, and you must overlap-and-add
by a factor of 4. Good block sizes are around 4096,
e.g. [block~ 4096 4].