[PD] Re: [OT] Edirol FA-101 under Linux

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Nov 30 05:33:17 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 03:42:55AM +0100, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:39:02 +0100
> From: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Re: [OT] Edirol FA-101 under Linux
> To: pd-list at iem.at
>
> Hallo,
> js hat gesagt: // js wrote:
>
> > On 11/29/05, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> > > I guess, the
> > > majority of Linux machines running worldwide do so as servers, often
> > > without screen and keyboard.
> >
> > this is an interesting point- i wonder how you come to your conclusion
> > [and what supporting data you have]. i run several linux boxes- all of
> > them with screens and keyboard. but i do know of several linux boxes
> > set up as you indicate.
>
> No numbers, as I wrote, it's just a guess, which I dare to do from
> looking at the fact, that although Linux is becoming more and more
> popular as a desktop system, it's traditional home as a Unix-ish
> system is the server room (or farm).

Some time ago people used to say "between 0.5% and 2% of desktop
machines are running Linux". More recently I have heard "between 2% and
5% of desktop machines are running Linux."

People used to also say "70% of internet servers are running Apache [and
presumably Linux]." but I've heard that That Big Bad Company has been
making great gains recently.

Sketchy at best but probably gives you a ballpark. Though the two can't
really be correlated of course because they share a different base.

> Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Indeed.

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx