[PD] Re: [OT] Edirol FA-101 under Linux

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 30 08:46:53 CET 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Chris McCormick wrote:

> People used to also say "70% of internet servers are running Apache [and
> presumably Linux]." but I've heard that That Big Bad Company has been
> making great gains recently.

Netcraft reports Apache is running 71% of domains (Nov 2005).
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/11/index.html

It could be argued that what matters is not domains but rather servers,
which would favour Microsoft, but it could also be argued that customers
(of hosting companies) is what matters, and then on Apache you often have
many customers sharing the same server, domain name or not.  If IIS is
made less efficient, then you need more servers to do the same job, and so
IIS shows up better in those stats.

Twisting the numbers can make Apache seem like it's only got a comfortable
majority but it can also make it seem like it's got near-unanimity.