[PD] Re: GEM cvs compile

Brad Kligerman bkligerman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:00:36 CET 2005

On 12/1/05, james tittle <tigital at mac.com > wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Brad Kligerman wrote:
> >
> > remove following files from the Gem-sources:
> >   src/Manips/glsl_*.{cpp,h,o}
> >   src/openGL/GEMglUniform*.{cpp,h,o}
> > and recompile
> >
> > I did what you suggested and recompiled Gem successfully, -lib Gem
> > loads and seems to work fine. Just one last question-- by having
> > removed the above files, what functions in Gem am I sacrificing?
>
> ...you're only "sacrificing" bleeding-edge stuff that isn't quite
> ready for primetime yet ;-)  Seriously, it should be well known that
> compiling Gem from cvs head is going to have some rough edges,
> because that's where the focus of development is...in this case,
> these objects were only committed last week, and have already gone
> thru a few iterations, with a few more likely to go...they work, but
> only if you have the hardware and drivers to support
> them...conversely, they are extremely undocumented, too...
>
> ...besides, they aren't likely to be the place you would start
> learning to use Gem anyway...

Thanks for the response... yeah, maybe not a good place to learn, but, I
need the CVS especially for the [gemlist_info] object that's helping me
measure real (projected) space by tracking screen space object matrices for
constructing a rather complex installation.
Also, [pix_2gem] apparently likes the CVS better than 0.90 (even though it
still will not compile).
/Brad.