[PD] 3d modulation sources for Synthesis

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Dec 5 00:13:03 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 07:43:22AM +0100, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
> Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:07:45 +0100
> From: Malte Steiner <steiner at block4.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] 3d modulation sources for Synthesis
> To: pd-list <PD-list at iem.at>
>
> It should be possible to interface Blender with pd, there are some
> people doing this but I don't know exactly how. Blender runs on several
> platforms inclusive your beloved and behated ones, is free oss and has a
> builtin 3D engine + uses Python as scripting language. Maybe over OSC.
>
> http://www.blender3d.org

Ey,

I am using blender3d to build an interface for a puredata synth, and
have been experimenting with this for a year or so. I just use regular
python sockets inside GameBlender to send udp packets to netreceive in
puredata (and visa-versa to trigger 3d events from the music). You can
see my beta sequencer interface here:

http://mccormick.cx/dev/blender-puredata-game-interface/

The script to set up a socket to send/receive udp packets with is comms.py
in that directory. The screenshot is of using a usb gamepad to write
a beat.

I played a gig with that synth + evolution midi controller at Linux Conf
Australia last year, but unfortunately the blender3d visuals weren't
working.

Best regards,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx