[PD] GEM compile

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 6 22:54:04 CET 2005

Brad Kligerman wrote:
> I installed FTGL and used ./configure
> --with-ftgl-includes=/usr/local/include/FTGL to configure. Everything
> seemed to roll along until >>
>
>         eetype -lz -lftgl_pic   -L/usr/lib -lquicktime -lpthread -lm -lz
>         -ldl -lquicktime -lpthread -lm -lz -ldl   -lMagick++ -lMagick
>         /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lftgl_pic
>         collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>         make: *** [Gem.pd_linux ] Error 1
>

>  FTGL seems configured correctly but I can't get around this error. Any
> ideas?
> Thanks /Brad.

hmm!

on which architecture are you? i368? x86_64??
in the latter case, ftgl has to be compiled with -fPIC in order to work
together with Gem.
on debian (which i am using), ftgl installs both libftgl.a and libftgl_pic.a
however, i never tried to build ftgl myself (which is not true, but just
imagine it is)

the simple solution to your problem is to edit the Make.config and
change "-lftgl_pic" to "-lftgl"

mfg.ard
IOhannes