[PD] GEM compile

Brad Kligerman bkligerman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:35:09 CET 2005

> The ftgl_pic is a Debian "feature" and doesn't come with FTGL. I don't
> think that the renaming is a good thing and having two versions
> (-ftgl and -lftgl_pic) just complicates things and helps in only very
> few cases.
>
> Anyhow, the gem configure should check for -lftgl_pic and if this
> is not available use -lftgl, just like the tcl/tk stuff in pd does.

On my system it doesn't work like this and just _use_ -lftgl, so the build
stops with the above error.

> the simple solution to your problem is to edit the Make.config and
> > change "-lftgl_pic" to "-lftgl"

So, despite Günter's doubts, I tried to change the Make.config. Gem got
built, but when I try to load the library in PD, I get the following error>>

/home/kliger/cvs_20051128/Gem/src/Gem.pd_linux:
> /home/kliger/cvs_20051128/Gem/src/Gem.pd_linux: undefined symbol:
> glUniform4iARB
> /home/kliger/cvs_20051128/Gem/src/Gem: can't load library

Oh well. When I have the time, I'll consider using Debian so that I have the
same system as the Gem dev people. But until then, I need text rendering in
Gem so I'll continue using my old Gem (but without gemlist_info which I've
grown to like). So unless anyone has a brilliant idea, thanks anyway.
/Brad.