[PD] hid usb keyboard problem

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Fri Dec 9 00:00:35 CET 2005

hi tim,

Am Freitag 09 Dezember 2005 00:37 schrieb Tim Blechmann:
> hi hans, hi list ...
>
> i'm currently trying to get |hid| working with my usb keyboard ...
>
> first i have to say, that |hid| is working pretty good with the
> internal keyboard of my laptop ...
> but on my usb keyboard, i only receive data from the fancy multimedia
> keys (nextsong, mute, home, mail ...), but not of the normal keys ...
> the keyboard works fine, though (i'm currently writing with it)
>
> any idea, what might be the reason?
>
> thanks ... tim

are you sure that you are talking to the keyboard, and if so, to the right
endpoint of it? it may be that it is in use already, like the kernel or x,
and so you access another endpoint of that keyboard, in this case the
multimedia keys? i have already seen such combination devices....

by default, if you have the event system enabled and allow for keyboards on
that, they are grabbed by the event system (which may block the hid access).
similar thing for mice: many configurations use /dev/inout/mice, which
concentrates all connected mice into one single device.

greets,

chris